Yesterday I was so frustrated with my boys and their selfish attitudes that I told them they both were required to think of something we could do for OTHERS this holiday season. Pop Up immediately said he'd like to take some food to a food bank. This makes perfect sense for him, as he is definitely a "foodie" - and the more exotic, the better as far as he's concerned. His favorite tv channel? The Food Network.
So last night we made a Costco run and this afternoon dropped it off at a food donation center. Both boys exclaimed numerous times as we browsed up and down the aisles that it was their favorite trip ever to Costco!
This is his donation -- 150 pounds worth of food. The donation center weighed it. He said "it sure doesn't look like that much, it looks more like 1/3 of that."
(some of it is covered in the photo)
This is what was at the center, waiting to be sorted. I told him we'd go back and help do that one day soon.

Meanwhile, Travel Trailer is still pondering what his gift to society will be. Thinking outside the box doesn't come naturally to him, so he's still trying to come up with something. I suggested that since toys are near & dear to his heart (much the same as food is with his brother) that perhaps
Toys for Tots would be right up his alley. Dad suggested something with an animal shelter, as dogs rate nearly as high as toys (maybe moreso) in his book. I'll call them this afternoon and see what needs they have at the shelter.
On the way home from dropping off the food, Pop Up said "I don't often feel proud of the things I do, but when I do, I get a lump in my throat. I have a lump now." And that made me get one, too.
1 comment:
Lump here, too.
Post a Comment