Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Flying Creatures of the 5th Day ... I love you!!

Could this little birdie be my saving grace??

I'm hoping so, though I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch!!!

Reading has been a life-long struggle for one of my boys. He LOVES being read to and will listen to books on tape from here to Florida and back ... but when it comes time to read on his own - he's just not interested. He's a boy! He's active!

A few weeks ago, we started using Jeannie Fulbright's book: Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day.

What an awesome book! They're begging for more! Even RV and I have learned SO much. I only wish we'd have used it years ago (it's been sitting on our Science bookshelf with all of her other books)! This summer, Jeannie is coming out with a book on Anatomy and I think one other. I'm buying it hot off the press! Can't wait. www.jeanniefulbright.com

But back to this morning -- I woke up with a miserable headache, so was moving slower than usual. When I came downstairs, my boy with an aversion to books, was sitting on the couch - with a pile of bird books around him. He was even reading them - not just looking at the pictures! We have about 30 books from the library on birds ... and he wants to get more.

Since we're studying birds, last weekend we put up about 5 bird feeders - including suet, etc. in our yard. It's been loads of fun, watching the birds discover us! The non-reader wants a bluebird birdhouse soooo bad, he can taste it! I bribed him with "read X number of books and we'll get one". I wonder if he'll keep on going ... until we have a birdhouse "fence" around our house?!

I just hope he keeps it up - and I haven't just jinxed us. Once before we were on a roll that was short-lived!

Anybody have any books or series of books well-loved by boys that you can recommend? I need to fan the flames while there's still a spark present!

3 comments:

EEEEMommy said...

I'm so glad that you guys are enjoying Flying Creatures. We are too! I never liked Science ever, but I'm enjoying Jeannie's books so much and learning all kinds of stuff!

I just e-mailed you the document I used to make the Notebook page for Lesson 3.

It could be that he's going to enjoy Science books. Some people prefer the non-fiction books to fiction ones. I say just keep checking those out of the library. He might enjoy the Landmark series of history books. Another author of history books he might like is Enid LaMonte Meadowcroft. They're out of print, but you can still find them on-line.
The fictional series that Ethan is enjoying right now is the Terrestria Chronicles by Ed Dunlop. He's loving them! http://www.dunlopministries.com/terrestria-chronicles.htm
Another favorite is The Kingdom Series by Chuck Black.

ohhollyf said...

bet that fence would be a badge of honor !

S'more of my Thoughts said...

Oh, Holly! I never thought of that! That would be great!! How cool!

Reminds me of Gary's sermon on "monuments of glory" ... I think that was before your time - when we were meeting at the middle school. Good stuff!