Friday, April 4, 2008

Mini Mime Camp

A brother & sister team from our church has been selected to be part of a 15-person Mime Troupe to go on a missions trip to Alaska this summer and tell some eskimos about Jesus. To help raise some of the $3,000 in support that's needed for their trip, they held a Mini Mime Camp every morning this week (similar to VBS).

We saw a Christian mime at (click here): Sandy Cove's homeschool week one year and it was sooooo beautiful how they told the story of salvation. I think almost everyone was in tears. So, I've been waiting for the day when the boys could try their hand at it. I take every opportunity I can to let them experience a wide variety of things (piano, skiing, swimming, sewing, canoeing, public speaking, rock climbing, basketball, soccer, choir, mime - and others I'm forgetting) - so they will one day know what type of things they are gifted in and passionate about. I'm pretty much passionate about life experiences. At the very least, they should be well rounded by the time I turn them loose into the world. I think it's safe to say, at this stage in the game, they are not passionate about piano. I keep telling them one day they'll at least be grateful for the piano experience. But you probably remember those days when your Mom didn't know all that much. Yeah, we're living some of those now. They're being made to stick with it, regardless. It improves math skills and works on other brain connections, you know.

In this scene, the girls were playing the part of Satan, trying to tempt the boys into sin:
Come over to the dark side:
H#$% no, I won't go!:
The Mini Mime Men (I wish I'd have gotten a picture of the girls side, too!):
They had a great time all week. Learned some new skills. Made some new friends.

Speaking of learning new skills, if RV and/or I can figure out how to upload video from the camcorder (that will require some sort of software installation, I'm sure) I'll post it here soon, so you can see & hear for yourself.

1 comment:

EEEEMommy said...

How fun! It looks like a very unique opportunity!

I think well-rounded is a great goal. One thing that always puzzles me, is the parents who put their child in one sport at age 4 and that's the only sport they ever play, 2-3 seasons a year plus summer camp. Sure it may yield olympians and professional sports players, but more likely it leads to burn out, and they might actually miss out on what they really could be passionate about.

Oh, and I can totally relate to the kids who think mom doesn't know anything! Just yesterday I had to wash my 5 year old's mouth out with soap after she said, "Stupid, stupid, stupid, Mommy!" Seems like her bubble was popped a lot earlier than the others! Not fun!