We had a GREAT 2.5 hour field trip to Wegmans today! LOVE that store - can't wait until they put one in the next town over, next year!!! It was geared toward a 4th grade level and they talked about nutrition and healthy eating.

They talked to us about nutrition and the importance of eating a rainbow of colors each day as part of our "5 a day" fruits & veggies:

The bakery department was oh, so delicious and smelled incredible! They gave us samples of various breads (their oven bakes 200 loaves at once) and let the kids feel the difference between sticky white bread (below) and hearty, nutty wheat breads. Strive for 6 oz. of grains per day ~ 3 of which should be whole wheat.

Science in the bakery department and how yeast makes bread rise:
They spoke to us for about 20 minutes about dairy and let us taste test 2 different mozzarellas, hard yellow cheese and yogurt. They showed us a cheese wheel that had holes in it and explained how the holes were made (by bugs! in hay! intentionally!). Below, she's showing how the curd separates from the whey:

Mmmmmm, steak!!

They showed us their meat department and talked about the importance of protein in a diet. Gave us a sampling of shrimp. Here's a huge Alaskan crab leg:

Just a tiny segment of their "take home and bake" section. Have you ever seen so many shishkebabs? As far as the eye can see!
Yep, as soon as they build the one in the next town over, I'll be calling RV on his way home from work -- "Hey honey, stop at Wegmans and bring dinner home. I don't care what it is - surprise me!"
3 comments:
I MISS WEGMANS!!!!!
That looks like another INCREDIBLE field trip!!
Hey, I know some of those kiddos! Are those Jack and Abigail that I see? Woohoo!
Post a Comment