Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Teaching Textbooks, I love you!!!!

I LOVE TEACHING TEXTBOOKS. Yes, I'm yelling - shouting from the rooftops, even!

Today we started using Teaching Textbooks Math CD's. We would have started a week or two ago, but there were computer issues to overcome.

Both boys joyfully did 3 lessons each. They love it and can't wait until tomorrow. New things don't always come easily to one of my boys and he is often, too easily frustrated. Yet today he sat there with a huge smile on his face - it looked like he was playing a video game, he was SO HAPPY!!!! My face? It was the one with tears trickling down it. I watched as the lightbulb went off in his head and could see that things were starting to click for him - right before my very eyes.

I know there will be times of frustration again - as he learns new concepts, there will likely be 3 steps forward & 2 steps back ... but at least we're making forward progress again.

Oh -- I made them get back on the fish-oil (lemon flavored!) bandwagon at lunch. Brain food, ya know. He wasn't very happy about it, but this afternoon when he got a 95 on one spelling test and 100 on the other .... he said "hey, this fish oil really works!". Well, not yet - but hopefully, if we're diligent with it we'll see some improvements in a few months. I could use some more brain power too, so I guess I'll have to join them - maybe we'll make a toast. "To better school days!" Here, here!

Yep, seems I've cried a couple of times in the schoolroom already this year -- at least today they were tears of joy!

4 comments:

Melissa B. said...

Technology can be pretty amazing, can't it? I worry, though, about kids giving up on books too easily. It's good, though, that your boys are engaged in their lessons!

EEEEMommy said...

Hooray! I'm so glad for you (and them). Saxon has worked well for Ethan, but I have a feeling that one of my girls might need TT instead. Her brain just works differently. It's actually fascinating to watch; I refuse to be discouraged! It's such a good thing that we have such excellent options!

Joanna said...

I'm with you on that! We are loving it.

Now is there something like this for English??

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Hi!
You left a comment on my blog, but since I am new at this, I can't figure out how to respond on my blog-there is a way, right?!Maybe you would let me know...
Our puppy is like a labradoodle, but she is actually a cockapoo-so half the size, and half the deposits in the yard...
Interesting note-Jer.29:11 is my verse! That has been my scripture to stand on so many times.